English Corner!


I did my first “English corner” last evening from 8 pm to 9 pm. 

 “English corner” is where students come to practice English just for fun with a foreign teacher.  This is not a required course.  They just want to improve their English.

I had a wonderful time with them!  First, I told them a little bit about myself. Then I had them get into groups of four to discuss various topics.  For example, I wanted to hear about their families, where their parents were born, how their parents met, what attracted them to each other etc.

The answers were revealing and some were quite charming.  Many of their parents were born at home.  “There were no hospitals near their village.”  One girl said, “My father was attracted by my mother’s beauty and my mother was attracted by my father’s kindness.”  Her sweet answer showed me she had inherited both. 😊.

I also asked them to tell me why they wanted to learn more English.  Some were quite ardent on this topic.  “I want to study in the U.S.”  “I want to understand what foreigners think.”  “I want to make friends with foreigners.”  

Indeed, it was inspiring to see these students, already with tons of class time and homework, taking the time to come practice their English.  The hour passed so quickly.  What a delight to work with them.  

--David

Comments

  1. Love how insights are revealing. Curious on home birth. I insisted on natural childbirth and met with great resistance here. Did it and it was no worse than running a marathon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really interesting! I think that in the countryside, that is the only way you can have children. Hospitals are rare in the villages, and most wouldn't think that it was strange to birth at home. I'll have to do more research on it, though!

      Delete

Post a Comment