David's visit to the dentist



I had my first Chinese dental experience today.  It had been about 6 months since my last dental cleaning and I could feel my teeth needed attention.  One of the foreign teachers who had had extensive dental problems told me about this terrific dental office, the Wenxin clinic. 

I was nervous both about getting there as well as wondering what the experience would be.  I was planning to use the ride hailing app, Didi, that is very popular here.  As I was calling it up, a taxi appeared.  I figured, why not just take the cab and avoid the hassle of finding the Didi.  The driver was very friendly.  The whole trip, about 15km, cost about 30 yuan or about $5.00.  I told the driver I had never been to the clinic before and he took the time to point out where it was located.  Nice guy!

The dental clinic was spacious, friendly and all around wonderful.  I was an hour early for my appointment.  The staff didn’t speak much English, but I felt comfortable with everything using my extremely limited Mandarin. I filled out a medical history form (in English) and waited about 30 minutes.  A very nice, friendly and knowledgeable hygienist did a great job cleaning my teeth.  I am in the process of getting a dental implant in the U.S.  The hygienist noted the area and did not pressure me into getting the implant now or doing things I did not want or need.  She cautioned me about brushing too hard, something I have been told many times before in the U.S. 😊.  I told her I had been nervous before going in, but was delighted with my care and that I would be back in April for another cleaning.  I would like to put in a plug for this dental clinic if you happen to be in Xi’an:
Wenxin dental clinic.
太白南路文信口腔 地址:太白南路于丈八东路十字西北角
 Tai bai nan rd and zhang ba dong rd 88810666

Note that their dentists do speak English.  I just didn’t need to see the dentist today.  The visit cost 185 yuan or about $25.00.

Comments

  1. Glad you had a good experience. Being able to smile is very important. Good teeth help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! And with no insurance, at that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment