My experience teaching a course called "American Society and Culture"

Since November 9th I have been teaching a class called “American Society and Culture” to about 30 English minors.  Their majors are mostly in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) fields.  Several are majoring in clinical medicine.  The class meets for three and a half hours on a Saturday afternoon, from 2:00 PM to 5:30 PM.  Prime napping time!  Can you imagine being in a class that long?  How about teaching one?  These students seem to be in class all the time.
I was a little concerned when the department asked me to teach this course.  I am a medical doctor, not a sociologist nor anthropologist.  I decided I better learn something and so got to work.  I found a useful, readable book on Kindle called “What Foreigners Need to Know About America From A to Z” by Lance Johnson.  It has many useful tips and I decided to incorporate them into my class.  In addition, I wanted to find out what my students wanted to know about America.  I had to find ways to keep their interest over the long class period.  I discovered they mostly wanted to find out about how to visit the U.S. and to discuss things like movies, TV shows and other pop culture topics.
We have met three times so far.  I have covered the ideas from the ancient Greeks to the Puritans that influenced the founding fathers.  We have discussed the concepts of individual freedom, liberty, equality, justice for all and the pursuit of happiness.  The students have been open to discussing all of this.  However, I struck a nerve with one student whose English name, Haytham, comes from his favorite video game character.  I had asked the class if they thought the original 13 colonies had the right to rebel against the British crown and form their own country.  Haytham, with a frown, said, “I really don’t understand what you mean?”  After some discussion, it became clear that he did understand the words, just not the behavior of the colonists.  What right did they have to question the king’s authority?  Didn’t Britain support and defend the colonists?  Although he didn’t come out and say this next bit, I think he was thinking “weren’t Jefferson and Washington traitors?”  Why would I ask such a question?  I made a mental note to avoid the idea of rebellion in future discussions. 
I brought up “materialism” as an American value.  I explained that not all Americans are materialistic, but some are.  One of my students chimed in that she had had an American girl stay with her family for a week. She said this California teen did not seem materialistic at all.  She did go on to say that her guest was a strict vegetarian and that her mother had to prepare her special dishes every day. Although perhaps not materialistic, she was at least somewhat individualistic.
I have discovered that discussing culture can be a minefield.  My questions have become a bit more circumspect.  I am here to discuss my culture, both its good and bad points, but at the same time I am careful to respect their culture.  In the group discussions it is clear they want to tell me about Chinese culture.  Just like I want them to appreciate things about America, they want me to understand them as well.
Going forward, I have plans to discuss racism, dining etiquette, games, sports and the new Ford Mustang SUV.  It seems like I am covering many different areas, but I hope that a realistic image of America is forming in their minds.  They are getting to know me too. Hopefully they are getting a mostly positive impression American culture as well. 

Comments

  1. If they are getting to know you, I am sure they are getting a positive impression!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider the idea of Unlimited choices. The Germans that visited us actually felt this overwhelming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point -- I remember an international student saying to me that she was all excited to try out her English. She went into McDonalds to order a burger. She then got the: Do you want fries with that? Do you want to make it a fun meal? Do you want cheese? She was bewildered by the choice!

      Delete

Post a Comment