“Practical advice for teaching English in China.”



I want to share some tips with those of you who are thinking of teaching in China.  Let me preface this by saying that my experience has been overall extremely positive.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  That said, there are some challenges to working in another culture. 

The head of the School of Foreign studies, a middle-aged man whose English name is Tony, told us our first day at Jiaotong that there were just 3 things we needed to know while working at the university.  First: don’t say anything bad to the students about the Chinese Communist Party.  Second: don’t try to convert the students to any kind of religion.  Third: don’t miss class.  That would be considered a “teaching accident” and would be a bad thing.  Beyond that, we have had very little guidance from the faculty about what they would like us to do or not to do.  We have had to find our way.  Here are some tips.

Right away, I found out that there is a student list for each class.  It is not always easy to locate.  Sometimes you have to ask several people where you can find the list.  Of course, it is essential to know who is going to be in the class. 

When I first looked at my class list, I was intimidated.  It was nearly all in Chinese.  Upon closer inspection, I noted that the first column had student identification numbers.   Next to each number there were the students’ names in Mandarin.  The student lists are organized by number, from lowest to highest.  There is no such thing as “alphabetizing” in Chinese.
 
I recommend getting a notebook for each course.  At the top of each page write the student identification number, one number per page.  On the first day of class, pass the notebook around to the students.  Ask them to find their student identification number and next to it write their name in Mandarin, Pinyin and their English name.  You will use this information to take attendance.  At Jiaotong the students are supposed to check in each class using a card and computerized attendance system.  Sometimes they forget their card.  Your attendance list is the key record.

Have each student take a piece of paper and make a “name plate” with their English name on it.  They will set it on their desk each class.   At the end of class, I recommend you collect the name plates.  Keep them and pass them out at each class.  This is a great way both to get to know their names and keep track of attendance.  
Name plate and student list

 Find out who the “student leader” is for each class.  Usually there is a student who stands out as someone who will help you with any technology or computer problems.  I have found my student leaders to be invaluable!


I can’t imagine teaching without PowerPoint.  I brought my laptop computer to China along with a couple of back-up thumb drives.  I bring my computer and thumb drives to each class. I have had a few instances where the classroom computer did not work.  I was able to run the class using the notes in my laptop PowerPoint presentation.  I want to be “teaching accident” proof. 

Sample notebook page with student name and number
Join or set up a "We Chat" account for each class.  This is essential for communicating with the class. 

Try to find out the course schedule and if a final exam is required or not.  This has actually been quite difficult for us.  I think Americans are more used to dealing with things directly whereas the Chinese professors seem a bit more circumspect.  For example, I am teaching a class on American society and culture this semester.  I asked the Chinese professor who taught the class before, if I might be able to see the final exam she prepared.  She sent me a long message about what she did in the course, but did not answer my question about the exam.  I asked her about having a short meeting, but she did not seem to want to do that either.  I just let it go.

Try to get to know the other foreign (British and American) teachers.  Many have been teaching in China for years.  We get together for dinner once a week.  This can be a great way to get together, ask questions and get some input. 

Finally, I think the most important thing to keep in mind is to be flexible and have fun.  A difficult moment could make for an interesting story.




Class list

Comments