Flash




All eyes on Flash
I want to introduce you to an outstanding Engineering major and English minor at Jiaoda University.  His name is Ye Chao, but I know him by his English name, “Flash”, after the DC comics super hero who uses his amazing speed to fight for justice.  His moniker is well-chosen: he is a quick-witted, creative, thoughtful, compassionate leader.

I first met Flash last fall, when I taught the American Culture and Society class.  He was the liaison between the teachers and the students.  He assisted me with the classroom technology and answer basic administrative questions.  My initial impression was that he was organized and helpful.  My admiration for him grew the longer I knew him.   

Through his essays, I would like you to get to know him too.  First, he will tell you about how he chose his major.

“Frankly speaking, I chose Energy and Power Engineering (EPE) as my college major not because of how I know deeply about it, but because it is the best major in the university. The term of ‘energy’ and ‘power’ sounded really cool and fancy to me as a naive freshman. Soon after, one thing frustrated me that students in other majors said that EPE was a ‘sunset’ industry and job prospects were not very promising. It was a short period when remorse welled up from time to time. Now, with what I have learned from my teachers, seniors and my own eyes, I'm proud to have made the right decision.”

Initially, as he says, he wasn’t sure Energy and Power Engineering was the right major for him, but his background in English helped to convince him that this was indeed an excellent choice. 

“To my surprise, my excellent English ability was the first opportunity for me to change my view of my major. I have always been fond of the language of English as a young child.”

His interest in English ultimately led him to study in Britain. 

“ [I had] the opportunity to visit world-famous universities where I found how different forms of energy are produced and applied to daily life. The more I learned, the more I realized that EPE is the critical foundation of modern society. It is amazing to know the electricity used everywhere is the work of my own major. The magic of turning coal, oil and gas into usable form of energy was then destined to be my future career.”

He is a creative thinker.  I asked the class to write a process paper describing the step by step instructions to accomplish a goal.  His paper explained how to become a super hero.  Not only was the paper entertaining, it came with an important lesson about how a super hero must both behave responsibly and use his power to help those in need.
    
“If you have managed to follow the instructions in earnest efforts, we are glad to announce that you are now an authentic super hero. Meanwhile, you are carrying a heavier burden for citizens and the society. Restrain yourself from abusing your power, as well as from letting it be little more than decoration. Above all, what you have learned is merely a start for your future. Stick to your dream and may the force be with you!”

He sounds very much like an American college student when he talks about his dreams for the future.  He would like to find a job with limited bureaucracy and a chance for self-expression.

“If you ask people in China decades ago what their ideal job would have been like, you are more likely to be tagged as unrealistic. At the time, most people were directly assigned jobs after graduation. They simply got used to the job rather than picture it. As the policy develops and economy blossoms, we are now capable of designing our own career. For me, an ideal job has to meet the following criteria: relaxing atmosphere with no bureaucracy, moderate working hours and inspiration of great enthusiasm.”

In the essay entitled “Technology, the Bridge that Connects the Poor and the Rich” he holds up Bill Gates and Wang Tao as examples of great entrepreneurs who elevated what is possible in everyday life. 

“Technology is the magic wand that human beings use to make the impossible possible. The discovery and use of electricity light up the dark night, save us from the heavy labor and change the way we treat ourselves in the universe. A faith that we are able to conquer the nature is deeply buried into our minds with the power technology gives to us. Bill Gates, a rebelling dropout, changed the world forever with his advanced computer technology; Wang Tao, an ambitious man, brings the drones to the world. They both earn a great deal of money as well as change the world. Both examples tell us that technology is the tool that breaks the gap between the two worlds.
Technology helps the poor to become rich, but it only happens when you put your thoughts and efforts into how the technology can serve the society. Meeting people’s needs is the key to make profits from the technology. Use technology and change the world!”

I like his point: It’s fine to become rich, but the rich should not forget their responsibility to society. 

            He has used his English knowledge to learn about American culture and customs.  In the following essay, he compares Thanksgiving with the Chinese traditional Mid-Autumn Festival. 

“Traditional activities of the two festivals differ from each other. Nowadays, many Americans observe the holiday by watching professional football game, Thanksgiving TV programs and the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade in New York city. Many families share about what they are thankful for from that year. While  celebration in China is more traditional and conventional. Urban families will go on the street to admire the beauty of the full moon, enjoy the lantern show and guess riddles written on them. Some localized activities are now a tourist magnet, like tide-watching of the Qiantang River in Zhejiang province, tower-burning and fire dragon dances in Guangdong province.
Despite the differences of food and holiday activities, both Mid-Autumn and Thanksgiving share the same core value of family. No matter what you do on that day, staying with your family makes it complete and perfect.”

Finally, he is a natural and gifted leader.  He is aware of his skill and uses it for good.  He thoughtfully analyzes himself and the origins of his leadership abilities.

“I have a special early education background. Both my primary school and high school education were completed in my hometown city Tonghua, but junior high was in Beijing. The two switches set me in an environment where nobody was familiar, but somehow, I always managed to make a quick adaptation, get along well with others and be appreciated by the teachers. To this day, in all sorts of occasions, I still get to know other people swiftly, unconsciously remembered by everyone. For example, in my freshman year, I had taken a group interview to join a student club, and candidates were given time to form a random group and work out a problem. I easily took the control as I had made acquaintances with most of them before the interview started, and I was successfully chosen among sixty candidates. My early switching experience imperceptibly taught me how to suit in a new environment, and I can work my ways to stand out.”

I have seen him interact with his classmates and other teachers.  What he says is accurate.  He is that rare individual who can lead by example, with warmth and kindness.  This summer he will tutor high school students in physics.  He wants to do well for himself, but also wants to be sure those around him flourish too. 

Flash is a bright, creative, thoughtful, gentle leader.  I loved having him for a student and am glad that I can now count him among my friends. 

Comments